NASHVILLE, The Tennessee Section of Commerce and Insurance plan is reminding property owners to observe for property improvement ripoffs this spring.
According to a news release, TDCI and the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors are reminding inhabitants of actions they can take to retain the services of highly regarded contractors.
Buyers can check the criticism and disciplinary historical past of a contractor through the Board for Licensing Contractors by contacting (800) 544-7693 or (615) 741-8307, or by emailing [email protected].
To file a grievance, simply click in this article.
Tennessee’s felony theft law addresses shoppers when a contractor normally takes dollars and does not accomplish do the job inside of 90 days, in accordance to the release. For extra information and facts, click in this article.
Citizens are also reminded of the subsequent:
- A contractor’s license is essential right before bidding or value negotiations on jobs of $25,000 or extra.
- For jobs under $25,000, verify with your local government’s making codes workplace to ensure if a contractor demands a condition or neighborhood license to perform household advancement, electrical, plumbing or HVAC do the job, and their allow needs for inspections.
- Guarantee they are thoroughly licensed here.
- Get quite a few bids and examine references in advance of committing
- Be cautious of contracts selling door-to-doorway repairs, specifically when requested for payment up entrance or deep discounts.
- Inquire who will be doing function (contractor, employee or subcontractor)
- Get a written contract with contractor’s title, address, mobile phone range, expected point out and completion date.
- Tennessee’s Property Enhancement legislation prohibits contractors from asking for a down payment of far more than 1/3 of the full contract.
- Make absolutely sure the contractor is insured and talk to for copies of certificates showing a latest successful date.
- Under no circumstances pay back with cash or the complete cost ahead of the work is finish.
To stay away from remaining the sufferer of deceptive tactics, enjoy for these pink flags:
- An unlicensed particular person going door-to-doorway
- A human being who takes advantage of superior-strain sales methods
- Keep away from functioning with someone in unmarked trucks or vans, and refuses to set out full or unique agreement phrases in creating.