No business or home is immune to pest infestation, be it cockroaches, common houseflies, rodents, termites, or the dreaded bed bugs and other creepy little animals. So what, then, is it possible to prevent these pests from invading your home and becoming a problem to you and your loved ones? According to Amco Ranger Termite and Pest Solutions, there are some effective preventive tactics that can help you keep your property from becoming overrun with pests. These techniques include;
1. Inspect your property regularly
This requires you to go around your business premises or home and think the rodents and other pests would do. What areas can pests access easily? Are there cluttered areas that would offer a great nesting area for the pests? Are there areas that you don’t visit frequently and would feel safe for the pests?
It is recommended to hire a professional to handle the evaluation process. Remember, a professional knows what to check for. Your home or any other type of property should be inspected several times a year. Remember, spotting pests early enough means you can eliminate them long before they lead to property damage associated with high repair expenses.
2. Keep your environment clean
One of the things that attract pests is the ability to easily access food and other related items in your business premises, office, and home. Therefore, keeping your environment free of clutter and food spills can keep pests away. So, keep your home and other areas well-cleaned. You can sweep, vacuum, wipe all counters, and keep food items stored in the right containers that can’t be easily chewed through by rodents.
3. Keep outdoor areas clean too
Here are tips to keep your outdoor areas clean and pest-free.
- Inspect the outside of your property, office, or business premises regularly for easy access points. Consider paying close attention to areas where various utility pipes enter your home.
- Keep an eye out for different signs of termite infestation. These include mud tubes, bubbling paint, and softwood that sounds hollow whenever tapped.
- Handle your landscaping projects properly. For instance, you should cut the grass around your home.
- Clean out all leaves and other types of debris from the gutters. This will prevent stagnant water which offers a perfect breeding environment for pests.
- Consider repairing rotted roof shingles and fascia. Remember, some insects are attracted to deteriorating wood.
- Store firewood (if any) at least twenty feet away from your house.
- Always direct water away from your house through functional gutters, downspouts, and splash blocks. It is also wise to repair AC units and water pipes.
- Keep any form of mulch at least 15 feet from the foundation of your house.
You shouldn’t ignore indoor areas too. Here are more tips to help keep pests away from your home, office or business premises.
- Dispose of garbage regularly.
- Keep the kitchen and other rooms in your home clean and clutter-free.
- Vacuum weekly.
Eliminating rodents and other pests once they have already found comfort in your home is a challenging task. Besides, they can cause property damage. Therefore, it is recommended to prevent pest infestation.