Colorful flowers, blossoming trees and nice temperatures are not the only things that return to Oakland County as spring usually takes keep.
Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard reminds inhabitants that spring is also the season that brings out nefarious scammers seeking to prey on unsuspecting house owners underneath the guise of offering different products and services these as driveway sealing or repair service, home enhancements, roof repairs or tree trimming at what seems to be an unusually very low cost.
“Unfortunately, each and every spring we get named by owners — normally seniors — who have been duped into paying out in cash for some company — a new roof, driveway or some other key price — and they really do not receive what was promised,” Bouchard reported.
“The would-be repair man or woman features an unbelievable deal on the repair or service, asks for funds upfront beneath the guise of needing materials to complete the career and then possibly leaves and doesn’t arrive back again or only partially finishes the career. Either way, the homeowner is out the hard cash and the restore man or woman is long long gone.”
Bouchard endorses that house owners use trustworthy suppliers who are bonded and have a history in the group and constantly be wary about letting persons into your household.
“There are a lot of businesses and men and women who are dependable and present the high quality repairs and expert services we all want,” Bouchard mentioned. “They are joyful to response your concerns, provide references and stand driving their operate. If you uncover someone who doesn’t answer your thoughts, close the discussion correct there and shift on.”
At house, look at these security recommendations:
• Be careful when working with an individual who offers a service you did not ask for.
• Generally inquire for identification in advance of you open up the door, particularly if you are not common with the corporation or the human being.
• Do not pay for tree-trimming operate by persons claiming to be from a utility contractor. Utility line clearance operate is finished cost-free of charge.
• Do not pay for the full career upfront or with money.
• Be cautious of “today only” bargains.
• Inquire for references.
Call the Sheriff’s Business at (248) 858-5000 or your nearby law enforcement department if you believe the individual at your door is a con artist.